Thursday 12 June 2014

Words for myself

Hi Team. I know, it's been years. Sorry. Well, it's not like I had a huge following of people, or tried to get people to read my blog or cared whether people read my blog. It's just some words I'm writing, just 'cause. And I haven't had time or inspiration to do so for a while.

But I had promised myself to write for me again, and now that I have time, I am doing it. I have spent a good while writing for others now, and it's my turn again.

I am in the good old Dutchlands, where I grew up. Where I once belonged and now I don't but I still feel like I am attached here and it ties in quite well with the situation going on with my ears.

One of my ears is blocked, and the other has a burst ear drum, courtesy of one of the most unpleasant flights of my life, and being a Dutchstralian, I have taken a few flights in my life. My stern warning to you is: DO NOT FLY WITH EVEN A HINT OF A SINUS INFECTION. But then again, I was so keen to get over here, I might have quite possibly told myself this a few days ago, but I didn't listen. And now I'm struggling to listen because I just can't hear very well and it's hard to follow conversations. Especially when most of the conversations here (other than the ones with my mother) are in a Dutch dialect called Brabants, and well, it's hard for me to follow it even with fully functioning ears, not that they ever worked that well.

Has my life changed in the last few years? Hell yes. I am possibly the happiest I have ever been. My life might be the boringest it has every been, (or maybe not), but it's because I am content. I am a happy little Dutchstralian and I am so grateful that I am.

It's quite strange being so aware of the slow disconnect I am experiencing from my childhood, my teenage years, all that is normal to Dutchies, my youth was here and now I am not young anymore, or specifically Dutch. I am Dutcher than an Aussie, but I am too Aussie to consider myself Dutch entirely.
It's not like I don't belong in either category, but if I had to give myself a description, I would say that I am an Aussie with Dutch tendencies.

Dutch people and Australian people are very different as a society, but they blend well. They both appreciate a good beer (not that I do) and they both like a good football match (not that I do), and at the moment the Dutch are united in hoping to win the soccer world cup, and the Australian are united in feeling irate about a certain Tony Dumb Dumb. I dislike both of those.

Me, I feel kind of tired and jet-lagged and far away from people and puppies than I want to look after because I love them and I feel I could make them feel better. My little dachshund pup Louis has just had surgery today, quite unexpectedly, and I can't stop thinking about how small he is and how much I can love something so small, and how much I can worry about a little dog that tends to be just fine.

It's in my nature to care and look after people, I do it every day. But over here, I can kind of look after myself a bit more than I do at home, and it's quite nice. And to be fair to myself, I need to because my ears are totally busted and need to heal, and my body and mind are exhausted of a few stressful weeks finishing assignments for my postgraduate uni course amongst other things. Life back home is lovely but hectic.

Here, it's slow and though I have spent a serious amount of time being the handy woman that I am yesterday, and I only arrived the day before yesterday, today I did a bit less and it felt nice. Nice but weird. I am not used to having not a million things to do. I love my little doggle, but it's nice not to have to walk him every day. And I love my comfy house and my wonderful husband, but it's nice to not have to look after either one of them.

Mum's house is a mess no matter what I do, mostly thanks to her big black monster of a giant dust cloud dog, but I'm not responsible for the house or the dog or anything at all really. It's really nice.

So now I'm going to do another thing I had promised myself to spend time doing: reading for fun and leisure. Divergent, if you must know.


No comments:

Post a Comment